Friday, July 24, 2009

Nine Basketball Games and No Hubby: Another Lesson in the Important versus the Urgent


Two games Thursday, one game Friday night, and six games Saturday and a hubby out of town for the weekend........this sounds like a recipe for exhaustion.

Not to mention, the reason my husband is out of town is because he is moving his parents here on Saturday and on Monday my dad and his family are coming to visit us for the first time since I moved from Iowa. There is grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, and organizing to be done.

What to do? Well, after much deliberation, I decided to skip the games. It wasn't an easy decision because you know, we moms, think we can do it all and make it all happen. And we don't like disappointing our children. But what is important?

I finally decided that I am not supermom and I cannot do this all, and do it all well. Something would get short changed; the first being my ability to ward off frustration, fussing, and exhaustion. What is important is teaching the children that making sacrifices, like missing games that they really want to go to, for the opportunity to be a blessing to their grandparents is pleasing to God and a blessing to their mom and their selves. What is important is making the people who have raised us and cared for us all our lives (our parents) feel welcomed and loved.

By the way, the children weren't as disappointed as I thought they would be. They are a tremendous blessing to me. So maybe I should rename this blog: "One Mom, Seven Children, and a Clean and Peaceful Home".

Sidenote: Seven children because my niece is staying with us for the summer:-)

1 comment:

Jonathan Hill said...

You see that is why I married you. You are a very wise woman. Wisdom speaks quite frequently through you. Decisions like these are not easy to make but afterward they yield peaceful fruit. A wise woman builds her house and that is what you are doing.
Luv ya